Friday, December 7, 2007

being a libertarian and superhero at the same time

Being a bit of a libertarian (notice the small l. I don't endorse the big L.) I don't naturally believe that government is the solution for much of anything. Given this, it might seem strange that I would pursue a job as a superhero. Yet, that is precisely why I do this: becuase I am a libertarian.

Many people assume that we are paid by the government to fight crime. That's a misnomer. Superheroes are privately funded. Some are independently wealthy like Batman or Superman. Others, like me, are full-time superheroes who had to fundraise for our salary. Being Moco Loco, it was easy to simply find a pharmeceutical company as a coporate sponsor. Thanks to Merck, I no longer struggle with out-of-control allergies; I have a cool uniform; and I have a broad assortment of clicky pens.

See, superheroes exist because the government has failed to fight crime. We are a private answer to a public problem and, quite honestly, I think we do a good job. I must be careful about how I word this. I have many police officer friends who would be offended. Yet, I know that it's not their fault. They have an endless stream of procedures and paperwork. I believe that superheroes are a great example of what happens when private industry can replace government bureacracy.

No comments: