Saturday, December 22, 2007

trudging through Iowa

I had no idea that the internet would be such an easy way to raise money. At first I was skeptical about the advertisement offering a free toaster to anyone who could spell the president of Iran's name correctly. Technically, it was totally legal. Even those who spelled Ahmadinejad did not actually write it in Farsi. But that was the hook that got them in their and once they heard my plan for a Super America, they were on.

The second thing that helped me was the celebrity endorsement of Duke Blackjack. I knew him back when his name was Darnell Steinman, but being half Jewish and half black was still a career suicide in Nashville. Anyway, I wrote a song a few years back for him. It was when he faced up to his alcohol addiction and so I wrote "Tea for Jesus," with that catchy phrase, "When I want to drink, I think of Jesus. Then I drink for Jesus. Yeah, tea for Jesus. 'Cuz I heard he frees us. Tea for Jesus." Man, it was a hit among redneck evangelicals who were tired of the "Friends in Low Places" alcoholic drinking songs. Plus, it landed him a commerical for Lipton.

The point is that Iowa has a lot of dry counties, so Duke Blackjack is a sort-of celebrity. Honestly, there really hasn't been anyone else to come out of that state. So, now I have a strong Evangelical support base. I've been using words like "blessed" and "lifted up" like a youth leader at a church camp.

Aside from that, Iowa is pretty much one extended hick town. The people take great pride in the fact that they set the trend for the election, which I find ironic, because, if there is anything Iowa is not, it is trend-setting - especially in fashion. Well, I'll keep you posted as I go along. This whole campaign gig has been great.

No comments: